Thursday, August 05, 2004

the spirit likes to dress up like this

Today the lake is high. The waves come right over the pier and slam into the neighbor’s patio with such lonely vigor – because they’ve been cheated out of their right to curl and fall on land rather than cement. Today I saw a woman digging in the ground. From far away it looked like she was making a giant gray cake, mixing something and then smoothing the tops with her large shovel. But when I got closer to her I realized that she was actually evening what she dug so that she could lay a sidewalk. I thought to myself, why can’t I lay a sidewalk? because I couldn’t. I don’t have the patience for that kind of evenness. And anyway I would rather there be a little hill or two in it, which wouldn’t make anyone happy but me and some kid who just got his first skateboard. Maybe we’d be enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home