Monday, December 11, 2006

hey ya'll

Yesterday, while my family and I were committing insurance fraud by not marking down our various mental illnesses on our new health forms, I said something that really threw everyone for a loop. ya’ll.

I’m not sure why I’ve developed a southern accent, but I have, and I blame it on teaching. It started last year in my first composition class. Hi ya’ll. What are ya’ll doin’? Didja’ll like the reading? Though I’m sure I’m picking up a little Georgia twang from my sweetie, it has only come out (until yesterday morning) when I’m teaching.

In my creative writing class this semester I had 16 students that all thought I was from the south. Part of the reason is probably because when they assumed I was Southern I didn’t correct them—but that’s not really the point. My ya’lling has really gotten out of control. It seems nothing is worth saying unless I can say it with a long I and end it with an extended N.

I’ll be in Georgia almost all of winter break where I’m hoping to refine my Savannah Scarlet sound. Then again, I’m not teaching next semester, so it’s really all for naught.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home