Sunday, October 21, 2007

rust belt poets


I've been interested in what this means--to be a Rust Belt poet. It's been coming up more and more lately, and I'm wondering what everyone thinks about it. My students have been reading Mary's book and somehow we got on the topic of Rust Belt poetry, as if I knew for certain what it was and could easily define it's aesthetic qualities for an intro class. And then one of my students raised her hand and asked, "You're from that area right?" And I said yes. And she asked, "Well, are you a Rust Belt poet?" And it didn't know what to say, though I wanted to claim it--Yes, Yes I am!! Anyway, I am just curious what everyone else thinks.

8 Comments:

Blogger Karen J. Weyant said...

I believe we need to start a new movement with Rust Belt Poetry! :)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Jessica, I'm so glad you started this. And I have to agree with Mary--you're definitely one of us.

2:28 PM  
Blogger jessica said...

Yay! I always like to get in on a movement :)

2:40 PM  
Blogger mydisguises said...

i see an anthology coming up and it makes me a little queasy. i'm thinking maybe the poets in california should start a wildfire belt movement.

5:04 AM  
Blogger mydisguises said...

i think writers write out of their environment, emotional, physical, spiritual, regional, gender, class. i have trouble identifying too closely with a single group because i feel identity is such a blend. and because, i think, identity is in constant flux,is pretty much an illusion. i also think it's important to really dissect our allegiances--why do we identify as we do? what does it mean if we don't? it's good to avoid trends in classifying ourselves as writers, pigeonholing ourselves and others. but above all--she says--we just need to write truthfully. whatever the hell that means.

8:47 AM  
Blogger mydisguises said...

by the way, is that your goodrich picture? it's very dramatic. i like it.

5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beauty of pagerank training lies in the technology
offered by search engines in identifying related content for a good ranking of
your website. Since the mailman needs to come to your site.


my site - seo marketing services

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home