Wednesday, August 29, 2007

finding the axis again


Today wasn't a great day, really. I gave my first grammar test. Circle the subject. Label the parts of speech. And it was a long, hot ride home too, the landscape seemed slanted, off its axis, not quite earth-leveled as it should have been.

But when I got back into Athens and pulled into the parking spot at my apartment, I saw the neighbor girl who lives with her parents across from us. Four years old, Japanese, builder of flawless sandcastles on the volleyball court before smashing them with her white, Mary Jane sandals.

And as I was pulling in, I saw that she was on the deck, waving. At first, it didn't seem like to anyone in particular, and also it seemed like to just me alone. As I got out of my car, she yelled, "hello," and I said, "hi there."

She started to move in circles, and her blue dress made a bell around her waist.

She yelled, "My name is Akiko," to which I yelled back, "My name is Jessica."

Then, as I started to climb the stairs to the second floor, she rounded the balcony and looked right at me.

"You're here!!!!!" she squealed.

Her mother came outside, nodded her head, smiled, and they both went inside. I unlocked my door and went into my apartment.

It's amazing, really, how fast a bad day can turn around on itself. And who is capable of doing that turning.

4 Comments:

Blogger mydisguises said...

an angel in a blue dress. my mother would swear she was watching out for you. maybe she was.

4:58 AM  
Blogger mydisguises said...

beautiful shot, by the way.

4:58 AM  
Blogger jessica said...

the whole thing was just exactly what i needed. and it was so simple.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Nin Andrews said...

Nice entry. I love that girl!

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home